Monday, July 2, 2012

10x42 Cassettes and 11 speed? WTF



It seems like cycling technology has really taken off drastically in the last couple months and it’s cool to watch but at the same time, this beautiful new stuff is becoming unobtainable to an everyday person. It bothers me to say that it’s getting to the point where I am not sure I will be able to have the nicest components. That sounds like bobbin brook syndrome, but think about it. Drivetrains and wheels are creeping up to $3000-4000, and it’s annoying, scary, and kind of sick. I bet in a year in a half or so the nicest big box brands road and mtn bikes will cost $15000. We have gone from joking about our bikes on the car being worth more than our car to just our xc bike being worth more than our car.

This increase in price of bike stuff makes me wonder what it will do to the sport. It isn't exactly a growing sport right this moment. With this increase in price I wonder if the sport will be full of nothing but lawyers and drug lords lol.

It just make me think back to the days where you could mix and match manufacturers components. You got what you wanted, could save some money by mixing parts, and it was nice not riding a flashy billboard. Don't get me wrong I like some of it but when it comes to replacing this new shit it makes you wonder if you will be able to afford taking your girl out or affording groceries.

but.....damn that 11x1 is purtty and looks smooth! Pretty cool little video.

1 comment:

Treeman said...

When you get to be a high paid architect $15,000 will be chump change.