Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Man Down

Today the cycling community lost one of the towns original mtbers in Dave Baton.

You could say he was crazy, confident, arrogant, fast, a bad ass, a hard ass, and some might have ruder words but he truly was a good guy. He was one of the most confident people I have ever met and with this he gave himself high standards and a very aggressive riding style. This style of riding and confidence led him to a good amount of success across the country as a pro rider.

I was lucky to actually spend some time with him on and off the bike.I believe I was introduce to him at joes or at race through Big Worm. From then on he would always ask if I had been racing and keep up with my results. After races or following race I would tell him all my excuses, he would offer up advice and tell me not be like him lol. It always would be good advice but being the age that I was at the time I never took it to heart and take advantage of his offer to ride with him more. I would ride with him off and on the road bike and very rarely on the mtb while growing up. When riding with him though he would offer suggestions to me and occasionally I would piss him off. When he was pissed off he was just being hard on me and trying to make ride harder.

The thing I remember about Dave the most was my trip to Apalachicola to help him one of his jobs wiring a condominium. Dave had a temper and it came out on the way to the job site. I was following him down there when we had just passed through Crawfordville. There were three cars in front of him a sedan, a cop, and a truck. We were moving along 5 mph under the speed limit and i could tell it was bothering Dave. Next thing I know I he is passing all three cars when there was a double yellow line. Immediately following the pass the cop pull him over. I thought o lord what have I gotten myself into after seeing his crazy pass and burn out leaving the cop on the side of the road. He later told me that he told the cop that it was bull shit. The rest of the trip was fine and I actually learned a lot from him about riding and wiring. We spent two lunches and a dinner talking tactics, training, and living the life as a pro. I truly enjoyed the time with him and behind his confidence he was a really nice guy. He just had a weird way of showing it.

So what I am trying to say is that Dave had an impact on a lot of people including me. He was one of those people who made a impact on you even if you weren't around him long. He is also the one of the ones that got Big Worm and many other into riding mtbs. If that hadn't happen I don't know were I would be or all of bike chain.

Most of all I feel very sad for his son who was along with him and hit as well by a car. Dave adored his son more than anything else in his life and it was very obvious. His son is a many version of him and wanted to be just like him. I really hope that we can keep his son in the cycling community. I know that is what Dave would wanted.

Its a sad day for Tallahassee cycling community and Dave will be missed and I proud to say that Dave had an impact on my life!

RIP Dave Baton

P.S. This sad day is just another example of how awesome the cycling community is though. Its a family and it shows when these kind of things happen or someone gets hurt. Before the news hit the web or tv, the cycling community basically played wheres waldo and called around to the point where everyone was checked on till it was narrowed down to Dave.

4 comments:

Juancho said...

That's a great story, and a cool remembrance. Thanks.

BIG JIM said...

Well said.

BIGWORM said...

Thanks for sharing your stories, Lil Ball.

Human Wrecking Ball said...

That was on the money. God job L.B.