Sunday, June 7, 2009

New Crib, Good Legs and a Crazy Idea



So since the Bump race, things have been pretty good and it looks like the bad luck has finally stopped for the time being. This last week started with one recovery day, following my bad showing at bump. Tuesday was the day that things started to look better. The Tuesday ride was super fun with berg, slade, tyler, and wrecking ball. It was surprisingly quick and definitely longer than I expected to ride. The ride ended up being 3.5 hrs long for me and I felt pretty descent. On the way home I rode by a house on Glenway Dr behind the Democrat. I stopped got the phone number and rode back to my car, where I later called the owner and left a message about being interested in the house. Wed started off very wet and I thought I wasn't going to ride but after Berg sucked it up and still rode, I myself went with Marino to Food Lion where the good legs continued to show improvement. I was able to pull the whole ride and play with the rest of the guys and it made me super happy and confident. The group was 15 strong but very fast. We finished the food lion loop in 51.5 mins, which is screamin fast for such a small group. Thursday started off again rainy and after bailing on the joes ride due to the presumption that it was going to rain, I pursued that house that rode by on Tuesday. My parents and I went to see the house and we all agreed that it was a cool place and that we wanted to rent it. The next morning, I had the house wrapped up and it will be my crib for at least the next year. I don't move in until the end of July but I am super excited over the idea of being able to role out of the house and basically being 150-200 yards from the fern entrance. I also look forward to everyone meeting at the place for rides, water stops and just seeing people when they ride by place. Saturday the legs continued to shine and show improvement. I met up with marino and rode from his place to kilearn where we met spook and Donni to ride to chairs. The ride was awesome. I had legs that i hadn't had in over a year. It was vintage lil ball riding. I attacked on every climb and pulled the whole ride. 74 miles laters I was exhausted but I couldnt stop smiling, until i had to take a nap lol. Now for sunday where my mind went wild and possibly crazy lol.

So after reading an interview with Julie Furtado, watching video of the 1990 world championships in Durango, browsing through the QBP books, and showing eric a bike on the Internet, something hit me. I wanted to change the Merlin into a 90s Tomac mtb, like the picture above. This means road bars and shifters! Only if I could find a disc mtb wheel! Check out the video of Tomac bombing down the mtn at Purgatory, which is north of Durango. I am super excited and ready to get this project rolling!

No comments: